Sunday, February 19, 2012

Stuff I found on Pinterest...and MADE



So I've been doing a lot of DIY stuff in the interest of saving a few bucks.  One of my biggest money grubbers was laundry detergent because I do like, 500 loads a day.  Seriously though, I do about 15 loads a week. I can burn through a regular bottle pretty quickly. SO, making my own laundry soap was first on my to-do list.  Laundry soap can be done two ways...made into a liquid form, or made into a powder. After reading 800 blogs that described each process, I decided that liquid was just too complex and time consuming for me, and I was all about making some powder.  I was able to find all three ingredients I needed a Wal-mart....super easy. 


So, the recipe varies slightly from blog to blog, but this is what I used.
2 cups Borax
2 cups Arm and Hammer Washing Soda (not baking soda...we are not cooking!)
1 entire bar of Fels Naptha washing soap

Two instructions: grate bar of soap with cheese grater, mix all the ingredients. BAM! You're done.  I put mine in a cute glass container and stuck it in the laundry room. I use one-two TBSP per load of wash and so far so good!! The only catch is I hate the way it smells...smells like old people soap.  I do still use store-bought fabric softener to mask it and it works just fine.
So, total cost: $11...and I still have half a box of Borax and Washing Soda to go!  Next time I need soap, I only have to buy the bar of soap. AWESOME savings. Yay me! (you know, and all those other peeps out there who figure this out long before me).  :)   (Oh, and we have an HE washer, and it has not caused ANY problems)

No comments:

Post a Comment