Thursday, August 18, 2011

Open your eyes

"Once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do. God, who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act."  Families are Forever 

I've been reading  this blog lately...be warned...it is heartbreaking (and entirely inspirational!!)  I first found this family's story on Five of My Own and I can not stop soaking in their story.  They have nine (I think) biological children and felt called to adopt after having a child with Down Syndrome.  You MUST read their story to understand what has happened since.  The severity of the conditions in Eastern European orphanages are horrific.  I've always known they weren't good...I've had a few families travel and come back with stories...but they buffered it for me.  Children are starving, dying, neglected...in a way that you've probably never seen unless you've seen it yourself.  Its actually quite easy to come upon videos of these orphanages...I found this one in Serbia on You Tube...
This is the norm people!! Disabled children are shunned, hidden, and locked away.  They are tortured.  Children, beautiful little souls, are tortured for the mere fact they were born disabled. At the age of four or five, they are put into mental institutions with adults.

I'm new in this journey. Sure I've processed beaucoups of adoptions, but MY journey is just beginning. I dont know what to do...the needs are so great and SO vast.
I have been pouring over the listings at Reece's Rainbow daily.  These beautiful children...these few have been blessed because someone knows about them, someone is advocating for them, and someone wants them to find a home.  These are a select few!! There are millions and millions that NO ONE will ever speak for.  Theses children are just as real and precious as mine and yours...not just pictures or stories. They are lives, souls. 

No comments:

Post a Comment